The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for the University of Wisconsin–Madison, is recruiting for a Web Developer (internal job title Digital Solutions Developer) to join our Digital Experience team. The developer will collaborate with colleagues to improve and maintain our existing sites, develop new sites, and administer our web platforms. Our Digital Marketing team is responsible for a large portfolio of work, including our public-facing websites, web apps, email marketing, and related digital operations. As we continue to grow this portfolio, the person in this position will help push us toward more interactive and engaging digital experiences while supporting the technical foundation of our web properties.
Our Marketing Communications division is a highly collaborative environment where everyone has the opportunity to innovate and create. On the Digital Marketing team, we approach every new challenge as a learning opportunity as we work with our colleagues to develop great designs, copy, strategy, and products. The busy nature of our team presents a great opportunity for a candidate who is interested in working on a variety of projects and who incorporates best practices while balancing the ability to meet deadlines. The right candidate will demonstrate an appreciation for the rigor required for platform management and integration work, and the sense of humor required to contribute to a pleasant day at work.
Who is WFAA?
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is a private, nonprofit corporation that encourages individuals and organizations to make gifts to the university and to connect with the UW. In 2014, the UW Foundation merged with the Wisconsin Alumni Association® to better serve a growing population of UW alumni and donors. We believe that private support grows out of good relationships between campus leaders, faculty and program staff who need support, and the alumni and friends who want to invest in UW–Madison. We provide important engagement opportunities to link UW–Madison alumni to each other and to their alma mater, building a strong community of Badgers.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Just as the university community benefits from differing viewpoints, perspectives, and experiences, inclusion and diversity are imperative for the success of our mission. WFAA values people and the differences that they bring to the organization, and creates an environment in which all staff members and constituents feel respected and have opportunities to thrive.
- In collaboration with the Digital Experience and IT colleagues, maintain existing WFAA websites and develop new web solutions as required.
- Develop custom web applications to deliver the best online experience for UW-Madison alumni and donors.
- Collaborate with vendors to create and maintain technical solutions for WFAA websites.
- Collaborate with IT’s application development group to design and deliver high quality web applications.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding and practice of responsive web design techniques and security protocols. Employ these as part of Marketing and IT web project teams.
- Maintain and promote a high standard of design, usability and accessibility for web content.
Digital Platform Management
- Serve as a technical consultant for project teams developing digital experiences.
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues with websites.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop highly usable digital experiences on WFAA websites, web applications and other digital channels.
- Collaborate with other Digital Experience team members to ensure web content is regularly audited for timeliness and accuracy.
- Conceptualize new and innovative ways to leverage existing and emerging technologies to advance WFAA’s goals.
- Monitor and analyze web analytics and traffic patterns as necessary to ensure that websites and web applications are operating effectively.
- In conjunction with IT system administrators, administer the back-end functionality of WordPress websites ensuring the platform, plugins and related technologies are leveraged effectively and properly maintained.
- In conjunction with colleagues, manage the Digital Experience team’s code repositories. Maintain WordPress content management systems, site architecture and standards across multiple sites.
- Collaborate with WFAA and campus colleagues to develop effective strategies for communication and marketing goals/conversion through WFAA’s websites.
- Consult and collaborate with colleagues on best practices, technical implementations and business practices related to website management and architecture.
- Research and advise on latest technologies. Pilot new technologies as appropriate.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience
- 1 + years of demonstrated experience developing websites in a professional context.
- Experience with HTML and CSS skills.
- Experience integrating front-end templates with back-end functionality
- Experience working with Git and code repositories such as Bitbucket.
- Experience developing solutions for WordPress websites including site and user administration, plugin development, plugin management/testing, upgrade/regression testing.
- Experience developing custom, secure PHP web applications and WordPress templates.
- Experience developing solutions for WordPress websites including site and user administration, plugin development, plugin management/testing, upgrade/regression testing considered beneficial, but not required.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze communications problems from the perspective of how the web and other technologies may be used to help solve them.
- Demonstrated desire to learn new things.
- Creative, team-oriented, client focused with strong problem-solving skills. Adaptable to changing priorities. Familiarity with security-oriented development methodologies. Proven ability to work well with colleagues in creative and marketing roles and accept direction from supervisors.
- Experience with the higher education environment or other complex organizations.
WFAA is committed to provide our employees with an environment that is inspiring, creative and respectful. We offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits program, which includes a 10% 401k contribution after 1 year of service!
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer *The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is the “doing business as” name of the merged organization comprising the University of Wisconsin Foundation (supportuw.org) and the Wisconsin Alumni Association (uwalumni.com). Its legal corporate name is registered as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.