Prospect Development Analyst
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for UW-Madison, is recruiting for a Prospect Development Analyst to join our Research and Prospect Management (RPM) Team. In collaboration with multiple WFAA development teams, the Prospect Development Analyst provides prospect information and consultation in support of effective fundraising programs and activities. This position provides portfolio management support to development officers, utilizing prospect management best practices and prospect data to optimize fundraising resources. This position will be a combination of remote, in-office, and on-site work environments.
Who is WFAA?
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is a private, nonprofit corporation that encourages individuals and organizations to make gifts to the university and to connect with the UW. In 2014, the UW Foundation merged with the Wisconsin Alumni Association® to better serve a growing population of UW alumni and donors. We believe that private support grows out of good relationships between campus leaders, faculty and program staff who need support, and the alumni and friends who want to invest in UW–Madison. We provide important engagement opportunities to link UW–Madison alumni to each other and to their alma mater, building a strong community of Badgers.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Just as the university community benefits from differing viewpoints, perspectives, and experiences, inclusion and diversity are imperative for the success of our mission. WFAA values people and the differences that they bring to the organization, and creates an environment in which all staff members and constituents feel respected and have opportunities to thrive.
Prospect Development Consultative Services
- Consult with development clients in regular portfolio review meetings to advise on portfolio composition, discuss portfolio activity and prospect identification needs.
- Partner with new Development Directors and Prospect Identification Analyst team to assist in establishing portfolios.
- Collaborate with RPM Team members to identify, evaluate and recommend assignment and qualification of the University’s top prospects.
- Coordinate with business intelligence and analytics teams to deploy systems to help enhance prospect management strategies and reporting for success in all stages of development.
Prospect Management Duties
- Implement prospect management strategies, business processes and protocols, specifically those activities focused on informing and motivating prospect activity.
- Serve as subject matter expert on prospect management policies and system processes, providing training to development clients as needed.
- Develop, document and maintain a schedule of regular data audit tasks to ensure that prospect management data is optimized for portfolio management and organizational reporting.
Prospect Qualification Duties
- Research new prospects using experience and judgement to qualify prospects for major gift development. The review process includes capacity verification, demographic updates, broad interest and philanthropic history and provides rationale for unit assignment.
Participate as member of Research & Prospect Management Team
- Attend and participate in regular research meetings and offsites.
- Share best practices and provide training for research colleagues.
- Attend and participate in development group meetings on a regular basis.
- Lead or participate in strategic planning and priority team projects.
- Recommend research information sources and other tools for subscription renewal, new purchase, or as an addition to regularly used free web sources.
- Participate in organization-wide task forces or other appropriate groups.
- Remote work to be 60% and in-office to be 40% in the role.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional work experience;
- 1 + year’s experience in prospect research, prospect management, development, or information field.
- Familiarity with using a variety of online databases and internet search tools; experience with MS office products, particularly Word and Excel; and capacity to become fluent in SQL, Salesforce, Blackbaud CRM Query, Export and Batch update procedures is required.
- Understanding of information management in a database structure, particularly the ability to store, manipulate and retrieve data.
- Experience with SQL and/or relational databases to perform queries and create reports (working knowledge of Blackbaud CRM Query and/or Microsoft Access or similar) preferred.
- Understanding of basic financial principles and an unwavering attention and commitment to matters of discretion and confidentiality.
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills, including ability to express all appropriate information clearly and concisely, whether written or verbal.
- Ability to prioritize and work with a high degree of independence while exercising critical thinking skills to determine best use of time and resources.
- Ability to work well as part of a team; high degree of customer service skills.
- Ability and expertise in discerning data quality discrepancies that require further investigation.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines.
WFAA is committed to provide our employees with an environment that is inspiring, creative and respectful. We offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits program, which includes a 10% 401k contribution after 1 year of service!
*The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer *The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (advanceuw.org) is the “doing business as” name of the merged organization comprising the University of Wisconsin Foundation (supportuw.org) and the Wisconsin Alumni Association (uwalumni.com). Its legal corporate name is registered as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.