Desktop Engineer III
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for UW-Madison, is recruiting for a experienced Desktop Engineer III to join our Technical Services & Support Team.
As a Desktop Engineer III, you are the face of IT at Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association! Our customers are important to us. You are passionate about serving customers and providing a great user experience. You are accountable for what you do and are willing to take personal ownership of your work. Your organizational and prioritization skills allow you to adjust to rapidly changing priorities. Self-driven to learn and stay abreast of technological trends, you bring value to the team through your ideas and recommendations. You have outstanding verbal and written communication skills that allow you to relate to both technical and non-technical audiences. You are the go-to person for computer hardware and software needs, providing a positive user experience for all WFAA employees. You work on a team whose day fills up with a variety of troubleshooting and solving technical challenges to expanding our technology portfolio and services by working on various project initiatives. In this role, you are viewed as the subject matter expert in the majority of supported technologies. You lead project initiatives and are a key participant in the management of our security framework for endpoint protection. You are responsible for administration in Active Directory and various applications across the organization. You are a mentor to others on the team and sought for technical guidance by your peers.
Endpoint Administration and Engineering
- Participates and/or leads all sized internal technical projects with cross-functional resources, following project management methodologies.
- Install, configure, and deploy computers, peripherals and mobile devices across all WFAA locations and campus locations.
- Establishes hardware and software standards; stays abreast of trending technologies.
- Performs administrative functions for Windows Deployment Server (WDS), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), and other tools as defined.
- Administrates ticketing system that used across various business units in the organization, including the backend configuration to support various business workflows.
- Performs Active Directory administration, group policy creation, and user provisioning/de-provisioning functions.
- Performs system administration for various core applications.
- Designs and configures endpoint technologies to support business needs.
- Recommends, designs, and implements new technologies added to technology portfolio.
- Pulled into architectural discussions to represent endpoint requirements for new or upgrade initiatives.
- Create, test, and deploy Windows patches using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
- Research, plan, and deploy vulnerability patches, software security updates.
- Participates on company’s incident response team (IRT); analyzes and translates security and system logs, performs security forensics on workstations, reports detailed findings and recommendation.
- Researches and implements security tools and processes to expand security portfolio.
Customer Service and Support
- Provide Help Desk coverage; responds to and logs incoming inquiries, independently triages tickets to appropriate support groups.
- Troubleshoots more complex tickets and problems and serves as an escalation point for peers.
- Provide support for staff across multiple locations on a rotational basis as well as a large number of mobile users.
- Initiates process improvements and standards for the overall good of the team.
- Makes independent recommendations that help drive ticket volume down and increase self-service mechanisms.
- Independently looks for trends in tickets for ideas to publish solutions or development of training classes.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for after-hours support.
- Required to work off hours for planned and unplanned events related to infrastructure support.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Associates degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Cyber Security or related field or equivalent professional work experience.
- Demonstrates a strong technical background supporting Microsoft products and a variety of applications.
- Experience administrating application deployment, endpoint security and management tools.
- Experienced in Active Directory administration, user provisioning/de-provisioning functions.
- 6+ years’ experience in hands-on computer support and troubleshooting for a variety of endpoint devices,
- 6+ years’ in a customer service environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel in a creative and engaging manner.
- Strong initiative; takes accountability for work assignments and is able to work both independently using individual judgement and minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills; can adjust to rapidly changing priorities.
- Experience leading without directory authority, coaching/mentoring others.
WFAA is committed to provide our employees with an environment that is inspiring, creative and respectful. We offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits program, which includes a 10% 401k contribution after 1 year of service!
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer *The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is the “doing business as” name of the merged organization comprising the University of Wisconsin Foundation (advanceuw.org) and the Wisconsin Alumni Association (uwalumni.com). Its legal corporate name is registered as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.