Accountant / Senior Accountant
WFAA encourages individuals working out of WFAA offices or conducting in-person business to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. WFAA does not at this time require vaccination for in-person work or other business activity, but reserves the right to put in place such a requirement in the future. Should it do so WFAA will consider requests for accommodations only as required under applicable law.
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for the University of Wisconsin–Madison, is recruiting for an Accountant / Senior Accountant. This position is designed to provide essential assurance that gift revenue is recorded in our accounting records on a timely and accurate basis, as well as to assist with fund level record-keeping and reporting. This position is a hybrid role and will require you to work in the office at least two days weekly.
Please note that we can hire this position at an Accountant or Senior Accountant level depending on the skills/experience of the selected candidate.
Who is WFAA?
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is a private, nonprofit corporation that encourages individuals and organizations to make gifts to the university and to connect with the UW. In 2014, the UW Foundation merged with the Wisconsin Alumni Association® to better serve a growing population of UW alumni and donors. We believe that private support grows out of good relationships between campus leaders, faculty and program staff who need support, and the alumni and friends who want to invest in UW–Madison. We provide important engagement opportunities to link UW–Madison alumni to each other and to their alma mater, building a strong community of Badgers.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Just as the university community benefits from differing viewpoints, perspectives, and experiences, inclusion and diversity are imperative for the success of our mission. WFAA values people and the differences that they bring to the organization, and creates an environment in which all staff members and constituents feel respected and have opportunities to thrive.
Quality Assurance – Source System Accounting
- Work closely with Gift Services staff to help create and direct process related to CRM system ‘adjustments’ and other non-standard routines, to help ensure accurate accounting information is passed to the general ledger.
- Assist with reconciliation of revenue reporting between KPIs and general ledger.
- Develop and provide both routine and ad-hoc data queries, as needed, related to the quality of source system activity passed to accounting.
- Daily posting gift file/adjustments to CRM system and accounting system.
- Provide basic process/system guidance/feedback to small staff groups, on a periodic basis, to help ensure accuracy and consistency with record processing.
Fund Accounting & Reporting
- Provide backup support for routine, periodic accounting / close procedures for all investment pools and the numerous funds that comprise them.
- Assist with donor challenge match programs and related tasks to record allocations and track progress.
- Assist with various aspects of fund maintenance, including routine query reporting, designed to support accurate accounting and reporting.
- Assis with development of procedures to help maintain appropriate use of fund-level account balances, including expenditures from various cash accounts or principal, application of short-term interest, reinvestments, and new endowments.
- Assist with fund creation, closure, and transfer requests, including procedures designed to help ensure actions are authorized and appropriate.
- Initiate and/or respond to both written and oral communications designed to share fund-related information, help manage expectations, and build service-oriented relationships with fund stakeholders.
- Perform fund activity summaries as well as financial modeling and trend analyses, as needed, in support of both standard and ad-hoc reporting requirements.
Pledge Receivable Accounting
- Monitor and post pledge receivable activity provided to the general ledger from the CRM system, assuring accurate and timely fund-level reporting.
- Perform pledge payment audits, quarterly write-off review and delinquent pledge management for both posted and DNP pledges.
- Perform periodic review of the adequacy of our reserve for uncollectible pledges, and provide a summary of findings.
- Perform month-end reconciliation of (total) pledge receivables to the general ledger.
- Assist with pledge discount calculation and entry, consistent with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assist the Associate Director of Fund Accounting, Controller, and/or other staff members with completion of various Finance projects as requested or assigned.
- Assist with annual audit, including preparation of related schedules and analysis, related primarily to revenue and fund accounting activities.
- Assist in developing documentation and training materials aimed at helping all parties consistently and accurately record financial information in all areas of the accounting system.
- Help to develop and refine departmental processes to meet department and organizational needs, with an emphasis on efficiency and adherence to internal controls.
- Aid in the development and execution of quality assurance procedures to ensure accurate, timely and consistent recording of transactions.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related Business field.
- 3 + years of accounting experience.
- General ledger system experience.
- CPA and/or CMA certifications.
- Accounting experience in a nonprofit
- Combined public and private accounting experience, as well as experience in non-profit settings.
WFAA is committed to provide our employees with an environment that is inspiring, creative and respectful. We offer competitive pay and an excellent benefits program, which includes a 10% 401k contribution after 1 year of service!
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer *The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is the “doing business as” name of the merged organization comprising the University of Wisconsin Foundation (supportuw.org) and the Wisconsin Alumni Association (uwalumni.com). Its legal corporate name is registered as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.